Wednesday 20 January 2016

My sis always sleeps when she is being asked to study.


*Shakes head* Every time I ask her to study, she will fall sleep.
Best is she can sleep with her hands holding the book upright like that for so long, haha!!
Don't know to laugh or to cry.


Today I went for school for the 2nd week of NM2220 (Introduction to Media Writing) lecture at 8am - I thoroughly enjoyed the insights that the lecturer has provided and expounded on what the textbook teaches us. She provides many relevant and up-to-date news to illustrate her points. She gave a few really interesting perceptions on which angle we can approach on writing an article catered for different kinds of audience.

For my first assignment, I have to choose a news article from the past month and do a reaction piece to it. Upon rummaging the stack of Straits Times' newspaper I have at home, I found one article that particularly interests me - the rising price of COE for motorcycles (Or the decreasing price of COE for cars). I have cut out the article and thought about the possible angles and ways to do this - to make my write-up seems more "balanced" but I'm having difficulties analysing the numerous data from LTA to convert them into more relatable format to express in the articles for the moment. 

Hopefully the tutor in my next week's tutorial could guide me on that.  Ahhh yes, I'm also having worries on how to find the contacts of the relevant stakeholders and approach them for interviews. I hope the lecturer can guide more on that next week instead of focusing on the way we can write our news articles. 


Just an hour ago, I finished watching the webcasted lecture of NM2101 (Theories of communication) and man, was I so enraptured by the concepts and content taught there. I heard from reviews that this module is a pretty theoretical and dry module, which can be pretty obvious from the name of this module as well... But this lecturer really made every concept seems so enthralling! >:D

I'm someone who always falls asleep when it comes to historical stuff. (In the previous sem, I took up EU1101 (European History) and I slept in every lecture uncontrollably) 

But this time round, it's different. I am so intrigued by how history shapes communication this discipline as a major of study - how communication discipline started from the World War.

The way Nazis utilized the various propaganda techniques was absolutely fascinating and mind-blowing that I can't help but to think, wow, so this was how they manage to convince people to sacrifice their lives for the country. And the "people" referred here, is an EXTREMELY large number of people involved in the world war. 

The lecturer also showed us a speech done by Steve Jobs when he was very much younger and in that short 4 minutes speech, he used almost all the most effective propaganda techniques -



If I were to listen to this speech matter-of-factly, I would have never realised how elusive these powerful persuasion tactics can be so easily overshadowed by the overall content of his speech.


\


Okay so I'm also currently taking a Psychology module (PL1101E) and the things taught there somehow really matches well with the things taught in NM2101E. There are connections everywhere. I can now understand why communication is actually a discipline developed from other social sciences disciplines including psychology XD

The previous module I have taken in sem 1 (NM1101 - Intro to Communication and new media) has some content that overlaps with NM2101 though -  I'm expecting a more detailed analysis of the content since NM2101 is a higher level module than that. So we'll see as the lessons come along. 

I'm pretty much enjoying every module that I am taking now (including GER1000 and CL2280) 
and  I really, really think...
I made the right choice to major in communication :)

Can't imagine if I am studying something else and studying that thing for the sake of studying only... and even have to study a long 4 years in uni.. That idea stinks. :P


 

No comments: