Wednesday 17 February 2016

Time and context change everything

I'm sure many people heard that cliche saying before, "Time heals everything."

It sounded like total nonsense when I heard that at times I was hurt badly.

Now, though some parts of me still remain skeptical about it, this saying is starting to get into me.

Don't stop believing
I always told myself that, until now.


Recently, I'm learning psychology stuff from a module I am taking.

Something intrigued me when I was studying for this.

 For so many years, I always thought that one major flaw about human brains are that we tend to forget things after some time. I also thought that If we could be like computers/robots and remember everything, we would be all geniuses who can rule the world.

However, evolutionary psychology taught us that - Psychologists believe that humans are always "retaining the best traits and eliminating the bad ones" via natural selection process.

So over the long history of how humans' brains have been able to develop to become better and better, why hasn't our memory banks be one of the aspects that evolve as well?

Many psychologists have come up with numerous theories to explain why human's poor memory benefits us and hence is retained throughout our species so far.

One of the particular reasons:

Motivated Forgetting

Sometimes, we may actively work to forget memories, especially those of traumatic or disturbing events or experiences. The two basic forms of motivated forgetting are: suppression, a conscious form of forgetting, and repression, an unconscious form of forgetting.

This brings me back to recall how so many times I tried to avoid remembering those memories... And as time passed...


I found out that time and context changed everything.


-----------------

Though forgetting has its limits. 



There will always be times like this - Missing you sweetheart
Rest in peace there, okay.


No comments: